Monday, April 16, 2007

Yard Work = Nemesis

We are those 'burbian neighbors that you don't want. You know, the ones who only mow their lawn every other week and who only rake leaves once or twice during the winter. Why would we be *those* people, you ask?

Because yard work is my nemesis. Not Tae Bo or running or swimming or biking or yoga or lifting or sitting at a desk all day. No. None of that. Yard work kills my hamstrings. Makes them so angry that they want me to suffer for days afterwards. This morning I was suffering through my Tae Bo with my hamstrings yelling at me every kick. And I ask Preston, "If it hurts so bad today to exercise, doesn't that mean that I am working my hamstrings in my normal exercise? And doesn't that meant that they shouldn't be so weak that they try to kill me every time I venture out into the yard?"

The irony is, as I rant about my hamstrings, I'm also going to work in a quick rant about communication. Preston replied, "It is probably because you don't stretch them every day." Let me interject here that I *do* stretch them *every day*. Preston knows this. He sees me. Sometimes his lazy butt sits in the bed and watches. Sometimes he even compliments me on the excellent and improving construction of my ass and legs *while I'm stretching my hamstrings*. So I proceed to look at him like he's crazy and to get a little ticked off feeling like he is questioning the thoroughness of my regimen.

Should this have been something that angered me? Most definitely not. But it was 5am on a Monday morning and I reserve the right to get angry about absolutely anything that happens that early in the morning. And especially on Mondays. And Preston has been duly warned about this many times.

Anyways, after seriously considering turning my Tae Bo violence on him, I learn that he meant that maybe it is because the yardwork stretches my hamstrings in a different way than my normal stretching.

Glad that that was clear as mud. Perhaps next time I mean to tell him he is looking hot I'll actually say that he is looking crappy. Or something.

I did struggle through my C25K on Sunday with the hamstrings. They actually didn't really bother me when I was running. It was my afternoon run for the week, and hot! I'm starting to question running on the trail by the bayou on Sunday afternoons. It always seems that I have a difficult run there. I'm not sure if it is because it is Sunday and I'm worn out, or if it is because it is afternoon and hot, or if it is because of the occasional need to turn around since it isn't a loop, or if it is because as beautiful as the scenery is that it is rather static and my mind gets bored. Perhaps I should try changing some of these variables and see if I can get it figured out...

I made my goal of 420 minutes of exercise last week! I want to match or beat that this week before backing off for a week. I've got a big week planned this week because I have 2 workshops this week that will allow me to come into work late, so I can get a full hour of Tae Bo in on Tuesday and Thursday, yay! I'm going to bike tonight and Weds, and run Weds and Fri. I'll throw Yoga in wherever I can. I'm so excited about this that I keep planning it all out in my mind. Can't wait to really get in to it!

No comments: