Monday, April 9, 2007

2xC25K, My Menace, Astros, Parentals and More!

I had a busy weekend. My parents came down to let me test drive their vehicles, which I could choose to buy if I wanted. I made the decision on Friday morning when they and Preston were still asleep and I went on my run. I decided to run up and down my street, so I ran past the Red Menace and the F150 a boatload of times. Running past the Menace, I realized it wasn't as gi-normous and immensely red as I was remembering it. (It is still red, but in my head it was resembling a fire truck in size and redness. The red is a good fire truck match, but the size is *significantly* smaller than the overly inflated thing I remembered.) I was running towards it and Preston's Camaro was parked across the street, and the Menace was only a bit taller, and I thought to myself, "It can't be *that* bad if it is almost sports-car short!" So I bought it. I feel like crying every time I think about selling my little Mustang (5.0, thankyouverymuch)... sigh.

Oh, yes, and the C25K went very well as I pondered the car delimma. No real problem with the 3 5 min. runs seperated by 3 min. walks at all!

Saturday was my exercise off-day as I saw my rents off and went to the Astros FIRST WIN OF THE SEASON!!! To bad it came so far into the season as for me to be there, but still, YAY ASTROS!!!

Speaking of parentals and Astros, my diet got a little wonky this weekend. Normally I am going for 1200-1600 calories per day with Saturday being a no counting/eat whatever I want day. I am making a feeble attempt to justify this weekend as only 1 off day because I had 3 off meals: one Friday (chicken quesadillas with guacamole), one Saturday (loaded baked potato, M&Ms and peanuts at the game and some cookies when I got home), and one Sunday (another baked potato at the game, with more peanuts and M&Ms and one of Preston's chicken strips for good measure). Ugh. Calorie-wise, I ought to fess up to at least two off days in that three... or just throw it in and take it for all three. I just hate to do that, because for me, an off day needs to be a whole day where I don't care in order for me to get the stress-free benefits of not counting calories... I guess I'll just have to wait for next Saturday. On the good side, I managed to do all of that and only go up by about half a pound when I normally am up by two to three pounds on the day after the off day. Go me!!!

Oh yes, and a very cool running thing happened!! When we got out of the game on Saturday, it was H-town's impression of freaking cold. Really freaking cold when you count the fact that it is April and it was just 80 the other day. And it was raining. So Preston and I decided to run back to our car after the game. I am so excited because I found my stride really quickly and comfortably, and running with a goal and sort of cross-country with curb-leaping and people dodging was really fun! It was probably less than half a mile, but I wasn't even really winded when we got in the car! This is evidence of serious fitness improvement. Yay!

So on to Sunday's C25k (W5D2). I was a little nervous about this one, though logically looking back on it, I shouldn't have been. After all, it is the same number of minutes that I've been running for the past 4 runs, just strung together a bit more. Two 8 minute runs with a 5 min. walk in between. I actually plotted a 2 mi neighborhood route for this one, and to my great happiness, I went closer to 3!! (2.7 according to gmaps.) Thrilled because that means I'm on 10 min per mile pace when I'm running, which is my goal pace for now while I'm building mileage. Yay! Of course, now I'm really worried about Weds's run: the dreaded 20 minutes with no walking run. But I'm feeling more confident at this point than I though I would.

So this week it is back to the proverbial grindstone. I only got 240 min. of exercise last week. I always want it over 300, so this week I'm really going to try to push in the evenings. Next week some training sessions at work ought to give me the opportunity for two long morning workouts, which I'm really looking forward to, so next week will be the goal "hard" week in terms of minutes.

No comments: