Thursday, April 19, 2007

Overtraining?

Last night I was reading through a book that I checked out at the library: The Complete Book of Running for Women by Claire Kowalchik (1999). I know it is a bit old, but unfortunately it was the best my library could do. Anyways, I was reading the section on cross training and came across advice along these lines: don't use crosstraining to go hard on non-running days, or you'll become overtrained.

Here's the deal. I have two speeds: sitting on the couch and "training". Training involves my heart beating fast and sweating like a pig and breathing hard and creating muscle fatigue. I've been doing this "training" speed 1-2 times per day for a total of 30-90 minutes per day, 6 days per week. (Yoga counts in my minutes of exercise, but not as training in this discussion.) Umm... so if crosstraining "hard" means I'm overtraining, then I've got an issue, because I don't have an "easy" setting yet. It is sitting on my ass or it is "hard".

So I did want to have an "easy" week next week. I was up to 7 hours last week, and will manage to hit 8 this week, but for the past day or two I've been feeling worn out. So I'm thinking since I can't define easy in terms of exertion yet, I'll just cut back to say about 3.5 hours next week, and try to take an extra "yoga only" day. So yeah. That is the plan.

All that won't start til Sunday, though. I've got a Tae Bo and a run on for tomorrow. Maybe also a Yoga if I get bored. Saturday is normally a yoga only day, but Preston has a thing to go to all day, so I wouldn't be totally shocked if I did more. But I'll make up for it next week. Really, I will.

Gee... I think I'm getting addicted to exercising. I already feel grumpy just thinking about cutting back. Even though in the long run I think it will help. I hope.

Btw, last night I was laying on the couch after killing my quads on the bike, and I wondered whatever had happened to my angry oblique. I started to think that it wasn't angry any more, but then this morning it reminded me that it is still a bit grumpy. Hamstrings are still ticked too. But I'm hoping next week'll be good for both and maybe both will be better.

In other news, YAY ASTROS!!! And, *clutches heart* what is up with my Rangers?

1 comment:

Jeanine said...

Hello,
sorry to barge in on your blog but I got looking for new training ideas... I read that you might be interested in running and Yoga and thought I would pass on something cool that I discovered. There's a new Yoga/training out there called The Tri-Athlete. It combines sophisticated breathing techniques with strength training and Yoga. It is awesome! It simulates a high-altitude workout and is great for endurance! Good luck!