Monday, April 16, 2007

Squeaky Shoes

Let me begin by saying that I love my (relatively) new Brooks Glycerin 5s. My
very first pair of professional running-store fitted running shoes. Love them.
I've taken great pains to only wear them when exercising so as to keep them
"fresh", because who can really afford to drop more than $100 on shoes more than
2x per year?

However, when engaging in my nemesis activity this past weekend, I managed to
muck-up my normal work shoes, an old pair of Asics Kayano Xs (Yes I do wear
running shoes to work. I also keep a pair of nice respectable black flats in my
desk for the rare occasions when I need to impress someone. I call these my 4th
floor shoes.). So this morning I decided to wear the new Brooks to the office,
just for one day til I can clean the Kayanos.

And they squeak.

Do they squeak when I run in them? No. (At least not over the volume of the
ipod.) Did they squeak yesterday when I walked a 5 min cooldown sans ipod? No.
Did they squeak this morning as I gimply hopped around trying to kick an invisible
attacker's ass? No. Did they start squeaking this morning the second that I
stepped food in my workplace? Hell yes. (Obviously these are my shoes since they
are as opposed to being in my workplace as I am.)

I know that it may make very little sense to the normal folks out there, but I
HATE shoes that make noise when I walk. I hate high-heels because I can't stand
sounding like a shod horse as I walk down the hall. I prefer to move stealthily
around my environment. Just me. Nothing like broadcasting the fact that you have
to pee 20 times a day (topic for another post, but let's just say that 10 glasses
of water per day truck right on through me about every half hour or so) than
squeaking loudly down the hall.

Can't stand it. Must kill shoes.

Seriously, where did this squeak come from?? Why now??

No comments: