Monday, August 6, 2007

A Shooting Star!! My Wish? Run 41 Minutes.

I was a bum on Friday.
I was a bum on Saturday.
I was a bum on Sunday.

I wasn't going to be a bum today. So this morning I woke up even earlier than on normal run mornings to set out and do what I should have done 3 days ago: my long run of 41 minutes. After last week's two crappy runs, I was a little nervous. After yesterday's questionably advised lunch at McDonalds on the trip home from home, I was a little nervous.

I needn't have been. This run went great!! I started out at 4:40 this morning, walked for 5 minutes, then set off running. Maybe a quarter of a mile in to it, I saw a shooting star! Somehow that little streak of light made me feel so incredibly lucky to be alive and awake and alone out this morning. It was awesome!!

This morning was to be my first 4 lap + spur run. I normally run 3 laps + spur, but I knew that the extra 10ish minutes were going to make me go long, so I has plotted out an additional loop last week. My loops all get progressively shorter. After the first two loops, I felt great! The third was a new one, so it all stayed interesting. Then I moved into relatively uncharted territory, time-wise, and I started repeating to myself, "I am the shooting star, I am the shooting star" and then the lyric "Get up and move your body before the night is over" came on Podrunner (My first run with Podrunner. Love. It. Ran at 149 bpm. This is going to become a regular download for me. Love it!!), and I felt so proud of myself - just what I needed for my final kick. Ended up with 3.75 miles in 41 minutes.

This was one of those runs that make you feel like you can do anything: 5 miler, 10 miles, half-marathon, marathon, Ironman? Everything is in your grasp, just train and take it!

No comments: