Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Seeing Red

I'm a redhead. I used to have severe anger issues. So severe that when I was a kid I used to go outside and punch trees (and I'm a girl!). So severe that I one time had an out-of-body experience during a fit of rage. So terrible and severe that it was frightening.

Notice I said "used to". Well, "used to" is the case not because the anger rises more slowly or has dissipated from my life. No, I used to have severe anger issues before I learned to control my anger, to identify the cause, to determine an appropriate course of action, to realize that people were watching, to not physically demonstrate my anger.

All of that means that I still have anger issues, they just rarely surface.

But oh my goodness I just felt a white hot fit of rage shoot through my body, my adrenaline is pumping, and I'm ready to fight. And I'm at work. Trying desperately to self-soothe.

What was the cause? Inconsiderateness, mostly. Bad management, some. Rage against the machine? A little.

Intellect, give me the strength to accept that which I cannot change. And the tolerance. And the inner peace.

No comments: