Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Craptastic Run

Last night the Neighborhood-Night-Outers spoiled my swimming plans.

This morning I had a 34 minute run on tap. I headed out into the 80ish degree humidity filled with the glory of Monday's 41 minute run. I even threw out a few little kicks and snapped along with my awesome podrunner tune during my 5 minute walking warm-up. (If noone saw me do it, it never really happened, right?)

Unfortunately, the awesome run of Monday was not to be repeated. In the first mile I began having GI pressure...er... issues. I was running slow, and wanting to stop every single step. I reasoned that I'd head for home after a mile when I looped around near my house again. But the GI issues cleared up a bit and I decided to go for a second loop. During that second mile, my left shoulder kept cramping up, and by then I was pretty sure that this run was pretty much just gonna suck. By the third loop, shouldy was feelin' better, but the GI issues were back. And then I made my error. My GI was issuing, but I decided to tack my spur onto my loop for the 34 minute run (until then I was contemplating stopping at 30). I figured that I could make it, and I might even run faster on the way back since then I'd be heading towards home and a bathroom. I was right about the faster. I ran waaaaaay faster as my GI issue turned into distress. I made it home in the nick of time, running the whole way and foregoing anything resembling a cooldown. I just barely averted a total disaster. But that's me, that's how I roll, pushing the edge of the pooper...er.... envelope.

On the plus side, the race to the pooper compensated for my incredibly slow start. 3.2 miles in 34 minutes.

No comments: