Thursday, August 16, 2007

Lightning Run

I knew Houston was expecting a tropical storm to cause much rain this morning and all day today. But I really wanted to make up yesterday's missed run, and when I woke up there was no thunder or lightning, and the ground outside wasn't even wet. So I ran.

Of course, as soon as I got outside, the lightning was very apparent. I actually almost turned back. But the sky above me was clear so I just figured I'd eke out as long of a run as I could until it started raining. I altered my route a bit: 2 big loops. I found that that way I wasn't facing the storm as much and getting all nervous. Evidence of my nervousness? Just over 2.5 miles in 25 minutes. Niiiice. (Full evidence of my firm belief that I have a new 5K PR in me right now - at under 10 minute miles.) Then I made a pit stop and went back out for the last 5 minutes of my run (just under .5 mile in 5 minutes) and a 5 minute cooldown walk. The rain didn't even start until after I hit the shower.

Lightning makes me lightning fast. For a slow person.

No comments: