Monday, May 7, 2007

Rocketman

Well, I just have to comment. Have to.

I loved Roger Clemens. Loved him. Thought it was incredibly cool that someone from Texas accomplished everything that he has accomplished. And that was before he even came to Houston. Then I loved him even more. Loved him for him being a true Texan, loyal to Texas, demonstrated by his desire to bring a championship to Texas. Sweet. I loved watching him play for the Astros. And I truely believed that he would retire, but if he didn't, I was sure he'd come back to the Astros this year. I really did. Up until last night when the Astros announcers told me what he did at Yankee stadium. Even then I believed in Rocket. Even then I believed that somehow ESPN had gotten it wrong. But no.

I grew up as a Texas Rangers fan. In the era of Nolan Ryan. Pudge Rodriguez. Kenny Roger's perfect game. Juan Gonzalez and Rafael Palmeiro. Some of those names may be tarnished now, but it is Nolan's greatness that I want to discuss. Nolan Ryan, the Texas boy who stayed in Texas even when Houston didn't want him any more. Who picked a home-state team and played out his career there. Loyality. That's what it is.

What pisses me off about Rocket is all of the wishy-washy mind games. If you didn't want to be in H-town, don't come out of retirement. If you were ready to leave H-town, just leave. Just be upfront and honest about it, that's all I ask as a fan. A la Craig Biggio, not a la Carlos Beltran or any of Boras's other clients. *sigh*

It has been a great pleasure watching the Rocket these years. One I'm honored to have had. Just as it was a great pleasure and honor to grow up watching Nolan Ryan. But Roger Clemens will be forever tainted in my mind with this bullshit he threw at the fans in the end. No full-page ads in the newspaper for us, thanking us for loving him. No. Just an underhanded announcement and silence.

Good riddance, Clemens.

No comments: