Saturday, May 26, 2007

Astros Race for the Pennant 5K Race Report


Slept badly last night. Kept worrying about the race. Silly, I know. My first race in 4 years - I should just be focused on finishing and running the entire way, but my competitive nature kept me planning for... well, planning to go it hard.

Going in my goals were, in order of descending possibility:
1. To finish without walking a single step.
2. To finish in 35 or less without walking.
3. To finish in 32 or less without walking.
4. To go sub-30 without walking.

I feel like I could have broken 32 minutes if I had gone out harder. And I could have gone out harder. That is my regret.

It was the mental game that kept me from going out harder. Running an unfamilar route kept me guessing as to how far I had gone and when I should pick up the pace. Next time I run, I should do it by time. 10 minutes easy, 10 minutes harder, and 10 minutes really hard. This time the first mile was the easiest (unusual for me) and then the hills started.

The course runs through downtown for the first mile. Flat and pleasant. I had forgotten this part of the course from the last time I ran it in 2003. Then you run back by Minute Maid Park, down a long hill and back up it, then turn around down it and back up it again. This is from about 1.5 to 2.5. Then you are flat until a steep down to the finish line.

Comments:
My only real negative comment has to do with the finish line. They say it is on the field, but it is actually on the ramp leading down to the field. So spectators can't see you finish, and you can't see the finish line until you are on top of this. *That* is mentally difficult. Right when I should have been kicking it I was on an insane downgrade and wondering why they had the clock set up before I got to the field. Nice.
Well, I take it back. The other negative is that they say you get free Astros tickets with race entry, and you do, but they are week day tickets and they only give you 6 week day games to choose from. I love the Astros, but I can't go to a game if I've got work the next day. So no free tickets for me.

For next year (because you know I'll be back):
Go out a little harder on mile 1, because it is the easiest (read: flatest) mile. Not too hard, but harder than I would for a flat race.
Don't drink the water. I felt queasy after I took a few sips. Would have been better to just wait.
Go hard the last mile. Even if you can't see the finish. You know you can go hard for 10 minutes without dying. Just do it.
Stick with the plan.

33.16 @ 10.44/mile. Still a personal best. And one I think I can beat soon.

No comments: