Thursday, February 3, 2011

What does this say about me?

I just learned that I qualify to be a member of the Half Fanatics.

Before this morning, I had never even heard of the group.  I had heard of their "crazier" sister org: the Marathon Maniacs (and vaguely formed a desire to qualify), but never even thought about there being a version for the Half.

If my grand half plan had gone off without 2 DNS's last year, I'd even qualify to be in their second tier of "crazy".  But as it is I qualify twice-over to be in the first tier: once for the marathon warm-up series in '08, and once for the 4 Halfs in 3 months in '09 - aka what I did finish of the grand plan before I got injured and preggo (in that order).

I also have a strange desire to be in the 50 States Marathon Club.  My guest room is decorated with maps, and I've always wanted to put up a big world map and pin all the places I've been.  I want to have a special color pin for places I've run in; not necessarily marathons (as I've only run 1), but any organized run at all.  At the moment, that only includes Dallas, Austin, Houston, Galveston, San Antonio, Roswell NM, St. Louis MO, and London UK.  But every time we take a little vacation, I'm on the lookout for a race.  I love racing out-of-town; I feel like I really get to know a place by running in it.

That, of course, is ironic since I'm looking for shorter races close to home as I continue my comeback into running.  Plan to follow in the next post!

Back to the point: what does all this say about me?  I'm a little obsessive.  I go all out or go home.  If I'm going to train for Halfs, why not race a ton of them and become the best at them that I can be?  If I'm going to train for a full, why not run a ton of longer races instead of training runs on the way?  If I'm going to be racing short distances, let's do a crap-ton of them so I get faster and have ever-present looming motivation?  In short, I'm just this side of crazy.  But it works for me (unless I get injured... or preggo...)!  I love goals.  Love them.  And medals.

No comments: