Friday, May 29, 2009

The Winter Plan

Seems strange to be thinking of the winter plan just when the heat of summer is really setting in in Texas, but last year I had started the winter plan more than a year in advance - when I signed up for the Rock 'n Roll Half in San Antonio, so I guess 6ish months is really pretty reasonable in comparison.

I've been noodling on this for more than a month. Some of it is still variable - the triathlon parts, to be specific. But I'm really excited about the running plan, so it is seeming more solid.

Here it is: I want to do a boatload of half marathons this winter, starting in October, and with the goal of getting faster at that distance. I think this is the perfect plan for improving my distance stamina and my overall speed. I would like to do another marathon, but I think if I take a winter to focus on this plan, I'd have a better chance of succeeding at the marathon distance. I'll also throw in some shorter races for fun. Here is the plan in detail:

October 25: Houston Half
November 15: San Antonio Half
December 13: Dallas White Rock Half
January 17: Aramco Houston Half
February 1?: Mardi Gras Half in New Orleans
February 14: Austin Half

I'd also like to run the Ten for Texas, the Run Thru the Woods 5 Miler on Thanksgiving, the Mardi Gras Beach 10K in Galveston, and some of the HARRA Spring Series. I think focusing on the Half distance will make it easier for me to do some of the shorter races that are so fun for me (and so good for my speed!).

Triathlon-wise, I'm entertaining a theory for the remainder of the season, and for the beginning of next season. I'm thinking about trying to get in two Olympic distance tris to end out this tri season. I had really hoped to get more in, but there just hasn't been much in the area that seems interesting to me. So I'm thinking of the Clearlake Int'l Triathlon on August 22 (this one could possible be the sprint or the relay with Preston...), and then the Austin Triathlon, which is on Labor Day (September 7th). These are still just thoughts... and then I'm thinking maybe of the Lone Star Half Iron in Galveston in late April... it seems like I'd be well-trained for the run after that winter schedule... and the swim is not a problem... the question is really the bike and running off the bike...

We'll see. But that run plan is solid. It is on.

No comments: