Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thrush Update

I think I feel a little better this morning.  Pumping hurt a little less.  And my supply went back up a bit, probably indicative of the reduction in pain.  Still scared to try breastfeeding, but hoping to maybe give it a go tonight.  Maybe just once on each boob today.  No need to rush into things...  And maybe the left first.  It was the one that hurt less...

This improvement is after 2 pills and 3 topical treatments.  And laundering everything that ever touched my boobs on hot (Hot HOT), and switching to disposable nursing pads, and going into a sterilization frenzy.  And I do mean frenzy.  The steralization on my dishwasher means nothing to me.  Steralization bags, nope.  Only boiling water for 20 minutes will do.  So I've basically got a pot boiling almost all the time now, pump parts are going in after every pumping, bottle nipples are going in after the dishwasher.  My family thinks I've gone nuts, but I don't care one single bit.  I want to kill this yeast, and I want it dead now and forever.  I think the best chance to prevent a recurrance is to go at it hard and overboard this first (and hopefully only) time.

Ziggy is still asymptomatic, but we are treating her as well.  Since she doesn't appear to be in any pain or discomfort, I figured her stuff could wait until today, but anything that ever touched her mouth or her drool is going to receive the sterilization treatment today/this weekend.

An interesting result of all the bottle-feeding that has been going on is that I know (finally) about how much Z eats in a day: Tuesday she ate 37.5 oz, and yesterday 34 oz.  She consistently takes 7 bottles per day, but the amount she eats in each bottle varies widely.

I'm working shortened days because I can't sterilize properly at work.  That's only for this week, assuming we get better, and then I'll go back to full days, but I think I did the right thing with that.

No comments: