Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Preserve the Uterus

I don't talk about work much on here, but every now and again, we open a new library.  I love going out on the day that the new books are delivered and helping to unbox them and get them on the shelves.  It is hard work, very physical, and it is wonderful because it is so very different from sitting at my desk all day, which is what I normally do.  Today I asked for volunteers to go out and help on delivery day, and my oldest staff member volunteered.  By oldest, read: older than 70.  I went to her and thanked her kindly for volunteering, but told her I'd rather she didn't go as it would be very physical.  She told me she could do anything I could do, and that actually, she should go *instead* of me because I shouldn't be doing any lifting so soon after giving birth, I need to "preserve my uterus".  I (lied and) told her I'd check with my doctor to make sure it was ok.  And that she could go out the following day to help with the shelf reading.

But, seriously?  Preserve my uterus!  At 5 months postpartum??

No comments: