Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Race Recap: Piney Woods Trail 5K

Or, my first trail run!

I signed up for this one to satisfy my desire for one race of at least 5K per month this year.  I chose it because I had never been to Lake Houston Park, and it seemed like something we should take a look at now that we have Zoë, since it is so convenient.  This is also the only 5K that I know of in the area that gives a tech T!  And they had BBQ for after, sounded good to me!

The internets told me that it should be about 45 for the start of the race at 9am.  Packet pick-up was morning-of.  Well, when we got there at 7:45, the car thermometer said 26 degrees.  Not good.  I walked the half mile to get the packet and then back, and I felt frozen.  All my exposed skin was red and alread wind-burned, and I couldn't imagine taking off my big bulky jacket on purpose!  I seriously considered DNSing.  I mean, seriously.

Hung out in the car with Z and P while Z took a bottle and I half-heartedly put on my bib and chip and waited.  Finally with about 20 minutes to go, I went to the (flushing!!) restroom, and like a miracle, it was probably 15 degrees warmer, and the sun was shining brightly.  So the race was on for me!

Then I had a clothing conundrum.  Because it was cold as hell, I actually added the race t-shirt to the 2 bras, sleeves, long-sleeved tech-t, and jacket that I was wearing.  I only had capris on bottom.

I walked the half mile to the start line quickly, but with the goal of getting there just in time.  It was a nice little walk that included a really awesome wooden bridge over a creek that looks excellent for future toddler wading.

The 10 milers went off, then the 5Kers.  I started out very near the back, since it was my first trail run, and I didn't expect to be breaking any land speed records.  It was kind of a cluster at the beginning as everyone got into double file - like cattle being herded to slaughter.  Pretty soon we hit the first of several mud pits that everyone re-routed around, and that spread the field out.  From that point on, I only passed people, but was never passed.

Running on trails is different... I was excited to be out in nature, but I spent so much time focusing on my footing that I didn't quite get to enjoy it.  The ground was very leafy, and the leaves were dry and therefore "slippery", and they also hid roots quite well.  I ended up falling twice and twisting my ankle on a hidden root twice.  I know this will sound strange, but the falling... it was the first time since I found out I was pregnant over a year ago that I fell without having to freak out about it.  It was almost liberating.  And strange.  But in a good way.  The other thing is that I wore my Garmin, and every time I glanced at it (not often because of the footing situation), I was going so much slower than I felt like I was going!  I expected to go slower on trails, but I guess I didn't expect it to seem just as fast.  I was terrified of being alone and missing the trail, so I was working to keep the woman in front of me in my sights.  So that was also different.

A note: I passed 3 different runners wearing headphones.  I have a new pet peeve: headphones at trail races.  TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE.  Now, I wear headphones when I'm training.  All the time.  I don't like to race with headphones because I've paid for the experience, and I want to hear it.  If I had a choice, no one around me would wear them either, because they kill camaraderie.  But that's me.  I do understand them and would wear them myself in the last miles of a marathon, because anything that helps at that point would be nice, you know?  So we've established that I'm not anti-headphone.  But I'm super anti-headphone at trail races.  When you're running on a single track trail with your music so loud that the person trying to pass you can hear it clearly, you won't be able to hear that person, and you might just weave at the wrong moment and cut them off and cause an accident.  Just sayin'.  (Yes, this was the cause of one of my falls.  And no, the runner didn't even notice that I fell.)

Around 1.5 miles in I shedded 2 of my layers.  And I was HOT.  So I'd do that differently.

Running trails is so mentally taxing that I'd look down at Garmy and I could hardly believe I hadn't travelled farther.  But before I knew it I was done.

Post-race party had BBQ, nomnom.  The chicken, especially was soooooo good.  We hung out a bit with the Z, dancing and enjoying being outdoors, then headed home.  I'd definitely come back to the park to enjoy some outdoors.  I'll definitely be doing some more trail running.  And I'd definitely do this race, or its 10 mile version, again!

Me and Z after the race.



And my favorite pic of the Zig so far: you can see me in her eyes!

No comments: