Wednesday, January 2, 2008

One Mile Time Trial

I wanted to start the new year off by running a one mile time trial to set a benchmark for future improvement.

I drank on New Year's Eve, but I super-hydrated during and after in order to reduce the effects the next day. So we headed over to the local high school track around 5pm when we had gotten back from the in-laws'.

It was freaking cold and windy. And I'm not talking slightly breezy. No, I'm talking 10-20mph gusts pushed through a building wind-tunnel windy. Preston bowed out after one lap around the track, but I was determined. I walked 1 lap, trotted 1 lap, and then ran all out for a mile.

8:19

I think it would have been faster if I could feel my feet. And if I wasn't running into a killer headwind for part of the time. So, under the circumstances, not too bad! And for once I can say that I truly had nothing left in the cardiovascular tank at the end. I felt like hacking up a lung for hours afterwards. But we headed over to the gym for me to bike and Preston to run his C25K. And then for me to lift.

All in all, quite a nice start to 2008.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Besides hydrating ... you should switch to Vodka. And say dasvedanya to hangovers!