Thursday, January 24, 2008

More Crappy Weather and Some 10K Goals

Well, there's been no break in the weather, and as I've been saying, I'll run in the rain, and I'll run in the cold, but I'm sure as hell not running in cold rain, so no run again today. I think this is actually the longest I've gone without a run in MONTHS. Not cool to go this long, but absolutely sweet that I've been that consistent. I did do a little recumbant bike ride this morning, and will do another this evening.

One of the reasons this forced running break is ticking me off so much is that I am going to run my first 10K this weekend, and I want to do really well. Experimenting with tons of time off before the race isn't my idea of preparing well, but whatreyagonnado?

Nevertheless, I wanted to run some numbers before the race, just to get an idea... McMillan's running calculator predicts a 1:04:28 based on my most recent race, a 5 mile PR back in November, a 1:01:38 based on my 5K PR of 29:40, and a 59:58 based on my 1/1 1 mile time trial of 8:20. My latest 6 mile run at about 9:30 pace predicts closer to a 59 flat.

With that in mind, what are my goals for the 10K this Saturday?
1. To finish.
2. To finish in 62 minutes or less.
3. To finish in under 1 hour.

I know from training that I can go the distance. I honestly believe that I can pull off a sub-hour finish. I really really hope I can pull off a sub hour finish. Beyond that, let's just see what I can do.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Good luck at your race! This unplanned time off might turn out to be an effective taper.