Thursday, June 21, 2007

That's Not Long

"When are you getting married?" July 7. "That's not long!"

This conversation has happened hundreds of times over the last week or two at work.

"Are you planning on changing your name? Then you'll be Mrs. G, huh?"

Insert mild freak-out here.

"Is Preston nervous?"

He seems to be ok. I on the other hand?

It isn't the committment aspect of marriage that scares me. We were pretty formally committed when we bought our house together (almost exactly one year ago - wow), at least in my mind. I think it just must be the change represented by "legitimacy". By that I mean that I think I am bothered by this appearance of moving into "adulthood". I feel like a total fraud. I am a kid playing house. A kid playing librarian. A kid playing dress-up. A teenager just trying to have a good time. An adult who traded her Mustang for an SUV with a job and a house and a *gulp* husband? That can't possibly be me!!

That's me. The very-soon-to-be Mrs. G.

Holy shitballs.

No comments: