Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Core and Strength

For some reason around Thanksgiving I seemed to get a second wind of motivation. I used it to recruit my husband to C25K and to make a committment to restart weight training at the gym.

Those two goals have been going well. Although we aren't yet consistent with the 2 times per week minimum at the gym that I would like, we are at least getting once per week, and with going last night we've got a good chance at 2 or 3 times this week. At least we are *weekly* consistent right now!!

Then the other day I decided I wanted to incorporate core work. I remembered seeing a program on D3 Multisport called Core Strength, parts I-VI (look under D3 Tips). I convinced Preston to partake with me, and Sunday night we did Core I, following the advice of just one set of 5-15 reps for beginners. While Preston was especially challenged by crunches on the FitBall, I found my nemesis to be back extensions on the FitBall. Oh, and push-ups with the FitBall are hard core. Pun intended. Last night Preston mentioned that his abs were sore, and though I'm not sore, I am "tight" in my abdomen. I'm really excited about Core II tonight!

The ultimate plan is to incorporate 2-3 days of core and 2-3 days of lifting during the week on alternating days.

No comments: