Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What would you do?

If you only had 2 months to live?

I know this blog has tended towards the sad lately, but there is a lot going on in my life that is, well, sad at the moment.  So I'll just say this: cancer sucks.  I am inspired by dignity and peacefulness with which this man is handling his situation.  Through his example I can learn patience, nobleness, thoroughness, and peacefulness.

Through his situation I am reminded that life is precious.  I named my daughter "life" in honor of that belief. 

A friend emailed me this the other day: "Keep present…watch your darling little girl….she is your pointer to the truth."  Beautiful.  Live every moment, because you never know which is your last.

But also live your life, because by the time they tell you you have 2 months left, you won't have the time or energy for that bucket list.

So what is your bucket list?  What would you do if you only had 2 months to live and they were 2 good quality months and there were no strings attached? 

The more I think of it, if I knew right now that I only had 2 months, I'd want to travel.  I'd pack up P and Z and buy an around-the-world ticket, and I'd start seeing stuff, tasting stuff, doing stuff.  Nothing specific, just an attempt at really experiencing the world we live in, instead of riding my office chair into oblivion and saving for a future that only ends in death.  

I'm thinking that this should translate forward into my life: instead of taking cheap/safe options, I need to at least occasionally opt for the more experiential ones.  So that I'm *living* my life.  I need to be present in the now and *live*.

No comments: