Monday, March 28, 2011

Warrior Dash Race Report

So I had signed up for the Warrior Dash in Dallas in 2010 before I found out I was pregnant, and before I got injured.  Even up until the week before I was somehow hoping that I could do it.  But it would have been stupid and a risk to the baby, so I didn't.  But I was so jealous as I watched Preston leap over flames and dive into mud while I stood there all giant and hot and uncomfortable.  I vowed to come back and do the race.  So imagine my excitement when I learned there was going to be one closer to home!

We dropped the Z off at her grandparents and headed to Conroe.  (Looking back on this, next time we can just sign up for waves an hour apart and take her with.)  Parked in a giant field and took a school bus over to the site.

Thank you, Tre'vion W. and Dewine for the use of your seat.  And when did Tre'vion become such a popular name that it required a last initial???
Picked up the packets and got the timing chips on.

Don't want to lose these!!

Wandered around for a little while, then got started.  The beginning of the "race" was mostly running.  We ran and ran and then ran through strong wind generated by an airboat locked into place.  Then we ran up some steep hills on a motorcross course.  When we got to the top of one of the hills, there was a dude with a serious water hose, and we had to slide down the other side.


I'm not gonna lie: I was already hot and this felt *great*!!  Also, note to future self, or to any woman who does this: tights would be a better choice.

Then we ran some more.  Got to a sort of log-jam of people.  Turns out there was a crawl-through-the-dark obstacle that could only take a few people at a time.  Note to anyone who wants to win this: go in the first wave.

Then we ran some more and came to a bunch of ropes to climb over and under and all around.

More running, then low walls to scale and barbed wire to duck.

More running, then a short cargo net to scale, and it was stretched over the top too (this was the hard part), then down the other side.

More running to a real, hard-core cargo net.  Maybe 30-40 feet high.  I made the mistake of looking down.  DO NOT look down!!!

Short little run to a tire field.  Fun!

Short little run to a creek with logs to go over.  Also fun!

Short little run to hay bales to climb.

Short little run to fire to leap!


 Short little run to a mud pit with barbed wire stretched over it to go under.


Short little run to the end!



Got the requisite picture with Preston.


Then headed over to the celebration for our free beers!

Then wandered over to donate our muddy shoes.


Shoe carnage.

And finally headed home to our baby.

No comments: