Wednesday, March 16, 2011

P90X and Workout Musings

I'm still going with P90X - 6 weeks and counting!  I saw big and drastic improvements in the beginning, but now they, and the weight loss/redistribution seem to be slowing.  I'm starting to think that it is about time to add some running and maybe swimming/cycling back into the mix...

But first, 2 more commentaries on the various P90X DVDs.  Since my last P90X post I've tried Core Synergistics and Cardio X.  Core was fascinating to me because it was difficult, but I didn't feel like it was targeting my core in particular while I did it.  This may be to my credit: I try to focus on my core during all workout sessions.  But afterwards I *felt* it.  This DVD did its job!  I think it will be a really nice addition to my Cores I, II, and III routine.  And Ab Ripper X.  You know, for variety!  Cardio X was more mild than Plyo, but still relatively cardio intensive, and it made me sore in some new places/ways.  I think part of that is because it included bits of Kenpo, which I still haven't tried.  It also includes bits of Yoga X and of Core Synergistics, so it would be a nice well-rounded P90X workout if I was trying to shotgun a bunch of aspects of P90X in one sitting.  I'll be keeping that in mind as I venture back towards some tri-training.

I'm still not sure what an ideal week should/could look like for me.  I'm going to use this space real quick as a musing ground.  Feel free to jet if I start to bore you! ;-)  So I've got a number of routines that I like/want to do.  Here they are (will also list the time involved if it is a known quantity - not the time on the DVD, but the time it takes me):
Run
Bike
Swim
Cores I, II, III (30 min)
P90X: Ab Ripper X (15 min)
P90X: Core Synergistics (50 min)
P90X: Chest & Back (45 min)
P90X: Plyometrics (60 min)
P90X: Arms & Shoulders (50 min)
P90X: Legs & Back (50 min)
P90X: Kenpo
P90X: Cardio X (50 min)
P90X: X Stretch (haven't tried yet)
P90X: Back & Biceps (haven't tried yet)
P90X: Chest, Shoulders, & Triceps (haven't tried yet)
P90X: Yoga X (90 min)
Yoga Zone Total Body 2 (20 min)
Tae Bo Cardio Circuit 1 (35 min)

That's what, 19 options?  And I have 7 hours per week right now, max.  Ok, what if we group them by discipline...

Tri:
Run
Bike
Swim

Core: 
Cores I, II, III (30 min)
P90X: Ab Ripper X (15 min)
P90X: Core Synergistics

Upper body:
P90X: Chest & Back
P90X: Arms & Shoulders
P90X: Back & Biceps (haven't tried yet)
P90X: Chest, Shoulders, & Triceps (haven't tried yet)

Lower body:
P90X: Legs & Back
P90X: Plyometrics (Also under Cardio)

Cardio:


P90X: Kenpo

P90X: Cardio X
Tae Bo Cardio Circuit 1 
P90X: Plyometrics (also under Lower body)

Yoga/Stretch:
P90X: X Stretch (haven't tried yet)

P90X: Yoga X
Yoga Zone Total Body 2



Hmmmm.... if I didn't count Core as an official category (more or a tack-on to something else), and I wanted to get in at least 2 runs, 1 bike, and a swim a week... what if we did something like this:
Monday: Upper Body category
Tuesday: Run, Ab Ripper X if time
Wednesday: Plyometrics
Thursday: morning Cardio category, evening Bike
Friday: Swim, Cores I, II, III if time
Saturday: longer Run
Sunday: Yoga/Stretch category or off
That would give me lots of cardio to try and get the rest of this weight off... this, of course, is very non-specific, but I could always substitute out P90X mornings in favor of run, swim, or bike if I was training for something specific.  The shorter routines can sub in when I'm short on time.  I could also try to get Preston to take Z for awhile on Sunday to get in another bike or run.  There is always the option to throw in some core or biking on the trainer in the evenings during TV time (motivation is my major problem, here).  I just really really need to be making use of ALL mornings before Z wakes up.  I need to go ahead and get up on Fridays, when I've usually been sleeping in.  And I need to be more proactive on Saturdays.  I also need to be more proactive about exploring/using my childcare options.

I can do this.  I can have fun, train, and get this weight off.  And in these trying times when exercise really helps me to cope, I need to remember to put myself first and do it so I can be a better mom, wife, boss.

Weight this morning: 139.6.  Onward!

Updated to include: There is also a workout every Tuesday evening at work.  Once I get back on a regular schedule, I would love to return to that.  (I had started after I was preggo but before I knew.  It was an ass-kicker then.  Might be a bit easier now, but I'm in worse shape now...)  It is a good way to get in a two-a-day easily and not have to worry about child care.  If I go back to Reggie, I might switch the run to Monday morning and the P90X upper body to Tuesday morning, since Reggie is more cardio/legs.  Anyways, yay!  I had forgotten about that opportunity!

No comments: