Tuesday, March 29, 2011

First Solids!

The first feeding of solids did, in fact, happen last Thursday, and we did go with oatmeal.  I decided to do it for Elevensies so that she can empty both my boobs during Breakfast and Second Breakfast if she is only taking one side per meal.  Also because since she normally has Breakfast around 5:30 and Second Breakfast around 7:30, that actually means she is eating Elevensies around 8:30-9ish, which is when we eat our adult breakfast on the weekends, so the whole family can sit down for a meal.

It went really well.  I heated up 2 oz of breastmilk in the normal bottle-in-hot-water way and mixed it with 1 tbsp of oatmeal.  I bibbed her up with the most ginormous bib I could find, stuck her in her high chair, and away we went.

The Z was ready to eat.  She saw the spoon coming for her mouth and she opened *wide*, first try, no fuss.  Now, I'm still guessing at least half of the stuff ended up *on* her instead of *in* her, but these first solids aren't really about nutrition anyways.

Oh, and she was so cute - I'd let her take the spoon away from me and try to feed herself, and at the end I gave her the bowl and she "drank" from it.

Current eating schedule is this (ish, very very ish)
5:30 Breakfast: giant bottle (usually 7-10 oz) or bf
7:30 Second Breakfast: tiny bottle or bf and fall asleep
9 Elevensies: Oatmeal
10:30 Luncheon: bottle or bf
12:30 Afternoon Tea: bottle or bf
3 Dinner: bottle or bf
5 Supper: bf (this one is usually another biggie)
7 Evening Snack: bf
She takes about 30 oz a day when I'm at work, plus 2 oz of solids and 2 breastfeeding sessions.  She's a big eater!

I've got a ton of pics, but Preston uploaded them from my phone, so I'll have to wait to post them.

I'm thinking we might try Rice cereal for Afternoon Tea this coming weekend.  Then it is on to the good stuff!

No comments: