Tuesday, July 17, 2007

You Can't See No Stinkin' Pictographs (From 7/1)

This morning we got up early to head out of Del Rio for Big Bend. I wanted to stop by Amistad Recreation Area and/or Seminole Canyon State Park because I had heard that they both had some outstanding pictographs there, and with our beloved new D-40X, I wanted to photograph them. We got to Amistad around 10:30am only to be told that theirs were only accessible by boat currently due to high water levels (I think the whole friggin state is going back into the bay, personally.) and that Seminole's had to be seen by tour only. And the only tour today left at 10am. Perfect.

So then we drove the rest of the way to BBNP with only a few imprompteau stops for photos of cool shit.

Once we got here we hiked the Window View Overlook Trail where we'll be married in less than a week (holy shit) and ate and checked into the hotel. Then we decided to hike the Chisos Basin Loop Trail because we only had a few hours til dark and we were sure we could finish it in time. Let me tell you: the altitude adjustment needs to happen fast. I had thought that running would help me with stuff like that, but not so much. Although maybe it has and there is no telling how incapacitated I would be if I hadn't been running.


That's us on the Basin Loop trail. Casa Grande in the background.

Anyhoo, got done with that: 1.8 miles in 70 minutes. Then we decided to do the Overlook again for some sunset photography. It was a regular mess of people at the "preferred" spot, so Preston and I wandered a bit farther up the trail where I remembered that we could get a shot of the Window. Turns out that the orientation of the sun actually gave us a better shot. I win!!! Take that, sheepies.

Now Preston is outside trying to get exposure shots on stars. I came in because I got cold.
It is different - not staying in a tent this time. I mean, there was no way we could, since we need to be clean to get married and all. And it is a treat to be able to have a shower daily. And a warm room. And a bed. And a toilet that isn't half a mile up the campsite. But somehow I just feel that I'm missing out on part of the park. You know, the cold, the sounds of the wind and animals. Going to bed at dark and getting up with the sunrise. There is still a technological disconnect, which is great: no tv, no cell phone, no phone. But I miss the real and utter back-to-basics that a tent demands.

No comments: