Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Hungry Hungry Amber

Last night when I got home we went up to the pool to do laps. 36 laps in 30 minutes - I continue to improve, so I was pleased. My fastest lap time improved as well, to 31 sec. My concern still resides in the fact that I'm not stringing laps together like I would want. I still hang on the wall desperate for oxygen after every second freestlye lap. Am I doing something wrong? I'm not swimming every lap all out... in fact I only swim the timed laps all out. The remainder I spend constantly telling myself to keep my head low and not to rush as I focus on form. Yet still I end up clutching the wall. I'm breathing every 3rd stroke (bilateral breather here), which should be totally reasonable. In fact, I can go longer without breathing, though I choose not to because of the wall-hanging. Should I be swimming even slower?? Exhaling less or more? Trying to take longer to breathe? Blarg. I still looooove to swim. When I got in, my hamstring was still grumpy from baseball on Sunday and I was really feeling it on the breast stroke laps, but by the time I got out? Healed. Love swimming.

This morning I woke up incredible hungry. Swimming usually makes me hungry, so I ate a rather large pasta dinner last night, but apparently even that wasn't enough. I felt like there was a black hole where my stomach should be! But I ignored it because I was going for a run.

So, the run this morning? Actually went pretty real well. I went ahead and tacked 2 more minutes of running onto my 30 minute run for OHRW5D2 this morning in case it rains Friday or I'm feeling crappy or whatever. So this morning 3 miles in 32 minutes. This was one of the first neighborhood runs I've done where I was able to tune out the crud and just let my mind wander and not get caught up in what I was doing to my body. This is a good sign.

But when I got home, I could stifle the hunger beast no longer. I just had to get something into my stomach. I ate a Kashi granola bar (6 g protein, 4 g fiber), and Preston kept making fun of how he had never seen anyone take so long to eat a granola bar. Turns out that I lost a pound while running (hot outside, anyone?), and so I think I was taking so long because my mouth was totally dry and chewing works better with saliva. No worries, I was drinking water, and I continue to. But I'm still hungry!!! This better mean some weight loss *shakes finger at belly*.

No comments: