Wednesday, July 18, 2007

We Now Resume Our Regularly Scheduled Posting

Now that I've got the Big Bend blogging out of the way (except the plan to go back and edit in some pics) and the lost cat fiasco out of the way, I can get back to my normal blogging.

Last Saturday, I *finally* convinced Preston to go to the gym to lift with me. I've always enjoyed lifting. I actually did it quite regularly when I was in college. (I think the enjoyment is directly related to the lack of aerobic-ness of lifting that coexists with it being good for me.) Anyways, my husband (*ahem* - first use of that word on this blog) works a hard job and I understand why he hasn't wanted to go with me, but I really wanted him to go with me for the first time to make sure I didn't get all nervous and flake and that I knew how to use all of the machines (yes, I know they are easy to use, but I'm a spaz about new stuff). Anyways, it was awesome! I only intend on lifting twice a week, so I'm going to do full body each time (though the concentration will always be heavier on the arms and abs since the rest of my working out is leg-heavy). I know this isn't ideal, but it is the plan for now. I was really surprised that it didn't seem harder, and pleased at the variety of machines available, and pleased at some of the weight I was lifting at 3 sets of 10 reps.

Perhaps I need to invest in a new *warning - system overload* light for my brain, because it is now 4 days later and I am still killer-sore. Well, really my only my biceps are still killer-sore. But still!! 4 days!! As soon as the soreness wears off, though, I'm going in to do it again. Since that doesn't appear to be today, I'd like to swim tonight. Couldn't swim last night because of a thunderstorm.

So on Monday and Tuesday I did Tae Bo, and then this morning: my first run in 3 weeks. Not proud that it has been that long (although there is *no way* I could have run while I was in BBNP: I'd have keeled over or injured myself on the trails), but totally psyched that I got through the whole 30 minutes for 2.8 miles this morning!!!!

I started out telling myself to just get through the first mile and then I could quit if I wanted. But I was listening to Ullrey's podcast for the C25KW3, and I knew that he had a 15 minute marker, so then I convinced myself that I could go at least that far. Then at that point I thought that I might as well make it to 2 miles. And by the 2 mile marker I was actually feeling good, so I ran it out. Whodathunkit??

Now the question is should I pick up OHR at Week 1, or Week 4? I had originally planned Week 4, as I've been running 30 minutes (before the wedding) regularly. But then with the hiatus I thought perhaps I should just start back with Week 1. The first 3 weeks are just 30 minute runs 3x per week to solidify ability at that distance/time. Because I've been at 30 minutes for some time now, and after this morning's success, I'm leaning towards going ahead with Week 4. It is 30 min., 29 min., and then 35 min. I could always repeat it if Sunday's "long" run kicks my butt. But I don't think it will. How's that for confidence!?!

No comments: