Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Weird Interim Reading Recap

So I had an interesting response when I freaked out about my Dad.

I couldn't... deal.

But I've never been in a place where I couldn't deal AND I've had a Kid.  And a job.

I couldn't fall into depression, but I was there.  I was on the edge.  But I knew I needed to keep doing my job and keep being a mom, and I didn't know how to do that while I was freaking out.

My solution was to check out, mentally. 

What does that mean, and how did I accomplish that, exactly?  Well, like the good librarian I am, I turned to books.  In the last 2 weeks, I've read 20, count them, 20, fluffy, formulaic romance novels.  Why romance novels, you ask?  Simple: they always have a happy ending.  And they usually grab me enough to make me care, at least a bit (even as I'm getting annoyed at the never-ending repetition of the formula), and while I'm doing everything in my power to get myself to the next break in my life where I can read, I'm not thinking about my Dad. 

And it worked.

And I promised myself that after Monday I'd quit and go back to reading the stuff I should be reading.  So I have, but I wanted to acknowledge what I've been doing, and also to get it down here, because it *worked*.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

Been there--no time for depression, too many people counting on me.

We need to have lunch together.

Amber said...

I'd love lunch. Maybe a Wednesday at the Market?