Sunday, September 2, 2012

August Book Reviews

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Twisted, twisted, twisted psychological mystery.  Twisted.  Great discussion book.  Read it.

May the Road Rise Up to Meet You by Peter Troy
Really nice story about 4 completely different people whose stories intertwine by the end.  Covers history from the Irish famine to the Civil War.  I was initially annoyed by the writing of the accents (I am *always* annoyed by this in books), but I actually got over it pretty quickly, which is rare for me - usually accents are cause for abandoning a book.

Defending Jacob by William Landay
Law and Order in book form, only from a lawyer who is trying to protect his son who is accused of murder.  Great read, and an ending that left me speechless.  Another good discussion book.

Angel's Ink by Jocelynn Drake
This one isn't actually going to be published until October, but I snagged an ARC.  I really enjoyed the read - the fantasy world she built was fascinating and I want to read so many more books rooted in that world.  With that said, the sex scene was so terribly written that I marked it down a star just for those few pages (She used the word "body" 27 times in the scene.  Twenty. SEVEN. Times.  Seriously.).  Also, how many times can a dude get beat up, sheesh!  But I'm still glad I read it and will read the sequel when she publishes it (and she will, she left it WIDE open).

Started but not finished:

Shine Shine Shine by Linda Netzer
Weird.  Too weird.  I won't be finishing this one.

Bartender's Tale by Ivan Doig
Slow read, but highly enjoyable!  Full review when I finish it.

Country of the Bad Wolfes by James Carlos Blake
LOVING it!  Reading it slowly because it is on the Kindle and I try to conserve my electronic reads so I don't have to keep buying more!  Full review when I finish it.

No comments: