Monday, January 31, 2011

Goals

January Goal Review:

1.  Work out for at least 20 min per day EVERY DAY in January.  I quickly realized that I wasn't allowing myself the flexibility that I need to be a good mom.  (And a mom who sleeps.  And showers.)  So I changed the goal to 31 workouts in 31 days, allowing 2-a-days to make up for skipped days.  I still wanted to get in a workout on as many days as possible, though.
Result: After I do yoga (or go for a walk with my mom) this afternoon, 31 workouts in 31 days.  I skipped 7 days, working out on 24 individual days.  But I got in those 31 workouts.  I even did a core session or two that I didn't count, since those are only 10-15 minutes long.

2.  Complete EP5K upright, preferably running.
Result: Check.  Upright, ran every step.  Resounding success!

3.  Count calories every day.
Result: Check.  This isn't difficult with my Livestrong calorie counter app.  My purpose here was to rebuild awareness of what I'm putting in my body without putting pressure on myself or jeopardizing my milk supply.  Done.

4.  Start back to work.
Result: Check.

So I'm really quite pleased with myself regarding my January goals.  I didn't make any of my goals so strenuous as to be unachievable, but I did have to put in the work.

So what's on tap for February?

I have 2 goals:

1.  Do a core workout EVERY day.  I don't want to say 28 core workouts in 28 days, because core workouts are inherently less time consuming than full workouts, so I think they should be flexible enough to work in no matter what.  The bare minimum to count is 100 crunches.  I mean, come on, I can do that!!  I absolutely positively have to get some of my core strength back.  This goal reflects that desire/need, and hopefully will put enough of a focus on my core that I see some real improvement.

2.  No ice cream.  The calorie tracking last month revealed to me that I'm eating too damn much Blue Bell.  And it is difficult to track precisely, and probably one of the major reasons I didn't lose more weight last month.  There are plenty of other desserts that are super yummy and lower calorie and easier to track.  Like 1/4 cup of M&Ms at 210 calories.  3 Golden Oreos (super yummy!) at 170 calories.  When I eat ice cream I eat a minimum of 360 calories, so either one of these is a major improvement.  So there it is: no ice cream in February.

I'd also like to continue the good habits I started last month: lots of workouts, calorie tracking, and finish Couch to 5K.  Bring on February!

Full disclosure: weight this morning was 143.6.  I think it is a little high because of the race yesterday - it had been hovering around 142.  But officially 3 lbs lost in January.  My pie-in-the-sky hope for February is to crack back into the 130's.  *fingers crossed*

No comments: