Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Real Progress

*crossing fingers so as not to jinx*

So, last week was, in fact, a growth spurt.  I HATE HATE HATE growth spurts.  With a passion.  The revival of the midnight and 3am feedings makes me want to curl up and die, just so I can close my eyes.  And this one lasted a forsaken 5 days.  Longest one she has ever had by 3 horrifying days.  Oh, and by the way, this all happened to coincide with my return to work.  Fun times.

What happens with that kind of feeding is that I am up for an hour.  I'm not always sure why it is exactly an hour, but it always is.  Go upstairs, comfort baby, change baby, feed baby, rock baby back to sleep, try to transfer baby to crib without waking the beast, I mean baby, go back to bed.  Then wake up 90 minutes later and do it again.

This was all super-depressing for me, because what I had looked forward to the most about returning to work was really returning to working out.  I figured with child care on hand and the return to the semblance of a schedule, I'd get to build it into my routine.  But all that waking up totally killed it.  When the alarm went off at 3:30, if I wasn't already awake feeding Z, I had empty boobs from all the nighttime nursing and I was exhausted, so I just rolled over.  I did manage to fit it in in the afternoons, but I was upset because the point of going back part-time in the beginning was to settle into the routine, and I won't have afternoons for much longer because I'm building up to full-time.  And goodness knows I'm not going to work 10 hours and then spend the only 3 hours I get with my Kid on work days working out.  It has to be in the morning while she is sleeping.

All of this led up to a come-to-Jesus between P and me, and a new arrangement: I take all wake-ups from bedtime-2am, he takes 2-4:45am, and Mom takes 4:45am until one of us gets home from work.  This way I should always be able to wake up with a 3:30am alarm to pump and work out and make it to work on time.  So far this week it has worked.  Of course, she hasn't woken up before 4:45am this week.... but it is a load off my mind just not even carrying the monitor into the room to stare it while I ride the stationary bike.  And knowing that I am going to get to finish my workout and make it to work on time even if she does wake up is golden.

I'm keeping up with the calorie tracking every day.  I need to do one more two-a-day to make up for a missed workout last week.  I weighed 145 even this morning.  And this morning for the first time, I have residual soreness from the working out.  Yesterday I did Tae Bo in the morning, and Couch to 5K Week 2 Day 2 in the afternoon.  I am very pleased with the soreness.  And the progress. Very pleased.

No comments: