Monday, January 24, 2011

National Pie Day!

I must admit, National Pie day was hard on the diet.  In fact, the entire weekend was hard on the diet.  You see, I was very very good last weekend.  So I was ready to chow down this weekend.  And if there is one thing I've learned in dieting, total denial isn't good.  Within reason, if I feel the need to eat something "bad", then I need to eat it, or risk falling off the wagon hard.

So on Friday when P got home, I demanded Freebirds.  It was actually within my calories that day because of exercise and very low cal eating up to that point in the day.  Good for me!  (But I always suspect my calorie count is significantly less accurate when I go out, so I still count it as "bad".)

Then on Saturday I made roast and mashed potatoes.  This is my favorite meal.  Ever.  From its easiness to the way it makes my house smell to the childhood memories it conjures - if I know what my last meal is before I die, it would be my choice.  And I have to say, this time I made some damn fine mashed potatoes.  Yukon golds, with Molly MacButter, Smart Balance butter, and milk, somehow guesstimated into the perfect proportions for buttery smooth goodness.  Add the gravy from the roast and I was eating and grooving standing up in the kitchen.  No time to go sit!  Again with this meal, I don't think it is all bad, but I could have eaten fewer potatoes.

So when I saw all the tweets running around about National Pie Day, I wasn't sure I should ask P to go.  But it is exactly the kind of think I want to get out and take Z to, and that finally won me over.  I don't want Z to grow up in a boring and un-fun house because Mommy can't unclench and eat some good food occasionally!  P, both surprisingly and unsurprisingly, took a little convincing, too.  Surprisingly because I didn't think he'd turn down good food.  Ever.  Unsurprisingly because I know he doesn't really like to leave the house on Sundays, and because it was about a 20 minute drive.  But I won him over, and off we headed to the Heights.

The event benefitted the Houston Food Bank, and featured Oh My Pocket Pies and Mmm Cupcakes, among others.  They had savory pies, for a fee: I had a pot roast pie and a veggie pie, both super yummy.  They also had free dessert pies: I had a smore pie.  Omg, yummy.  Then I got a lemon cupcake, and tried P's red velvet cupcake.  Also omg yummy!  There was live music, so we danced with Z, and art to look at.  I'm really glad we went.  Here are some pics, and sorry, none of the food: I was too hungry to take the time!






Weight this morning was down, despite yesterday: 142.6!

No comments: