Monday, January 31, 2011

EP5K Race Report

This was my first post-partum 5K, and also my first uninjured race in over 14 months, so I had pre-race jitters like it was a marathon!

P and I got up at the crack of dawn, I pumped and we made 2 bottles: 1 for Z to eat when she woke, and 1 for during the race.  Then we got her up and P fed her while I got ready, and we headed downtown around 5:30.

Got an excellent parking spot near MMP, on a road that would allow us to easily escape downtown.  Walked over to the start line and took a pic.



Left P and Z there because it was drizzling and there was a large awning at MMP that they could hang out under and still get to the start.  I needed to head to the GRB to take care of my nervous tummy.  Here is the line for the bathroom, which was at the bottom and on the left.  There were probably 30 women behind me at this point!



Then headed towards the start line.



I ended up closer to the start than I wanted to seed myself, but I could tell from looking around that seeding was not really happening, so I didn't bother trying to fix it.  You know the dude in front of you is going to be slow when he thinks he needs a reflective vest at an organized race!  They asked who all was doing their first 5K, and I swear half the crowd raised their hands!  Yay for new runners, but boo for new runners who don't do a quick bit of research on race etiquette.



So the start was the cluster that I thought it would be.  People dodging like crazy.  I decided to wear the Garmin for the first time since the Austin Half.  I knew my pace would be slow, but I was curious and wanted the data for a baseline.  I also thought that knowing how much farther I had to go might help me push through the desire to walk.  Oh, now is a good time to mention that this is the most undertrained that I think I've ever been for a 5K.  I had only gotten through week 4 of Couch to 5K, so my ONLY goal was to run every step of the race.  And I really wasn't sure I would make it!

So we started off, and I aimed at a pace that I thought would be sustainable.  Fought off desires to walk from about 5 min in.  At the first mile, I glanced at the Garmin: 10:05.  I was actually pretty pleased with that, since I felt like I was practically creeping along.  Second mile, 10:05.  I'm nothing if not consistent.  I was really wanting to walk, but I knew at that point I was 2/3 of the way through.  Then we turned onto that last, almost mile long straightaway, and that really helped me.  I could see the GRB in the distance slowly getting closer, and I knew I just needed to get there.  The last .5 mile was really rough, but I wasn't going to walk with so little left to go!

Final time, by Garmin: 31:56.  I just checked my records, and that is my slowest 5K since May of 2007.  But I finished, and I ran every step of the way.  This is just the beginning of my "comeback", just a platform for improvement, just a benchmark for future measurement.

And I got a medal!



I actually ran in a skirt.  I feel like a total tool in skirts, but my shorts still don't fit yet.  Also ran in my brand new Brooks Glycerin 8's, and got a blister on the ball of my left foot.  I don't think it was the shoes' fault, though, I just think I need my callouses to come back already!!


No comments: