Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Planning Post-Baby Running

One of the things that is comforting and exciting me through the weight gain is planning my 2011 post-baby running/racing.

The only problem is: I don't really know what I'm going to be up for, and when!!

I've tried doing some research on when I'll be able to start exercising again, when to start running again, and then factor in my own experiences from there on how long it takes me to get going how far, etc. But essentially, I know nothing.

So, of course, I have a plan all blocked out, but which can be relatively easily modified.

I've gone for the positive spin: starting C25K with Week 1 only 2 weeks after my due date. Now, I know that this very probably won't be possible, but why not try (for once in my life!) to plan for the best scenario?? If I was to be able to start back 2 weeks after my due date, I'd finish C25K 5 weeks before my planned comeback 5K, which is the EP5K on January 30, 2011. I think this one is perfect for a comeback since it is the only 5K in town that I know of that gives medals, and I'll certainly deserve one! (Plus I'm a medal whore.)

So, in the event that I can't start back 2 weeks after, pushing to 3, 4, 5, or 6 weeks after would still have me ready for the 5K in time. And most sources agree that you should really be pretty good to go at 6 weeks, if you have a normal birth.

As soon as I finish C25K, I'll move on to One Hour Runner, following my tried-and-true formula for slowly building up time/mileage/stamina. And I'll keep racing from 5K-10K distances all spring. And I thought I might try to train for the CB&I in early May again, too...

In fact, there is a part of me that would like to stick with the shorter distances all year... but another part of me would really like to do a half-marathon next winter... I'll really need to see how the knee comes back, whether I'm able to block out enough time to run with the baby, etc...

It would be really cool to do the 10 miler in October, then a half in November or December... ooooo, or to run the Big Bend Ultra 25K ("only" 15.5 miles) in January...

But if all the long stuff doesn't work out, I can have fun doing short stuff too. I'd like to get faster. Before I started going long, I was *almost* placing in my age group, especially in smaller races. It'd be fun to give that a shot too!

With all that said, I'm trying not to look too far into the future. Short distances, at least until Spring is over, so here is my proposed schedule: EP 5K in January, Bayou City Classic 10K, Mardi Gras Beach Run 5K, Eikenburg Law Week 8K in March, Bellaire Trolley Run 5K in April, and potentially the North Texas Warrior Dash (which I missed this year due to pregnancy), also in April, and the CB&I Triathlon early May. Those last 2 are the 2 I'm most uncertain about... not sure if I'll want to divide my focus from running onto tri so soon into my "comeback", and not sure my family'll (omg, we're gonna be a "family"!) be up for a trip to Dallas in April!

It is difficult trying to plan with so much uncertainty in the picture, but at the same time, I think it is good for me mentally to get excited about regaining an aspect of my life that is so important to me, even if it is just in a small way.

No comments: