Monday, October 29, 2007

Saturday Brick and Monday Long Run

On Saturday I got a wild hair and decided to do a brick workout in mid-afternoon. Preston said he was actually really surprised because I never mentioned it until I told him I was going to do it, and when I told him, I didn't ask or waffle around about it.

I decided to go 30 minutes on the bike followed by a 30 minute run. I wanted to stay pretty conservative, since this would be my first real brick in the proper sense of bike followed by run, and I wasn't sure how my legs would care for it.

The bike was easy on the stationary, and I had taken up my sunglasses and ipod so I could make a quick transition to the run. Came out my front door running, planning for a quick 2 big loops and back to home for about 2.75 miles, which I figured would take 30ish minutes. Nothing special to report, other than the incredible tightness in my quads which I'd guess is normal in a brick. The weather was beautiful - mid-60's and sunny.

More shockingly, I wasn't sore the next day!!

This morning I needed to put in a long run, since I'd like to run the 5K over at Rice on Thursday evening, and then I'm for sure going to run the 4 miler in Sugarland on Sunday morning. I want to give my legs plenty of rest before both of these races, since I tend to go out hard in races and come up sore the next day, so that left only today for my long run.

55 minutes on schedule. Cold again this morning. A little tweaking in my left shin. Otherwise nothing special, except that I was rather slower than normal - ranging 12-13 minutes on my normally 11-12 minute loop. 4.9 miles in 55 minutes for 5.25 miles in 65 minutes with the walking. That was Week 9 Day 3 of OHR, I'm almost done!!

No comments: