Monday, October 15, 2007

Friendly Suburbian Advice from an Early Morning Runner

I'd just like to mention a lesson that I've learned from my time pounding the pavement before dawn's rosy fingers stroke the sky...

A lot of people have sprinkler systems in suburbia, where I live. Sprinkler systems are awesome. If I didn't have one, not a single living thing that required more water than what fell from the sky would be alive on my property. I heart my automagic sprinkler system.

But within the blissful forgetfullness of automation lies a danger: how do we know if our sprinkler system is actually working, and properly?

I'd like to recommend monthly checks of your sprinkler systems. Turn the thing on, and stand there for a minute bearing this in mind: the pavement doesn't need water. Also, when the water runs out of your yard and onto the pavement, your yard is temporarily saturated. You are watering for too long, thus watering the pavement, which as I said, doesn't need water.

Also I'd like to mention trash days. The bliss of forgetting that you have a sprinkler system unfortunately extends to trash days. Either program your sprinkler to never water on your trash pick-up days, or develop the habit of putting your trash in a non-sprinkler-targeted area. For instance, on your driveway, on your neighbor's lawn, or in your dog's stomach. If I was a trash pick-up person, I'm pretty sure I'd hate everyone. (Oh wait....) How much would it suck to drive up to a soggy, overturned trash can and have to touch it? Not to mention the waste of water as your sprinkler waters the underside of your now very clean trash can.

Just some friendly advice....

Ran on Saturday around 8:30 am with 65 degree temps for 45 minutes and about 4.25 miles (walked another 15 minutes for an even 5 miles). Ran this morning at 5 am with 75 degree temps and high humidity for 30 minutes and about 2.75 miles (3.25 with the walking). Go me!

No comments: