Friday, January 30, 2015

WINNING!: the plan for Unemployment

We moved into this house over a year ago now, and there is a nice stack of things that I've been wanting to do, but have never had time.

Project 1: as you know, is to repaint the master suite.  We are at probably 95% completion on this now - the only thing outstanding is the Water Closet.

Project 2: build a square foot garden, and then actually clean up my yard, using all the leaves as the base layer before the soil.  I tend to think the buildout will be easy, 1, maaaaybe 2 days.  But the raking, oh the raking.  I'm allowing a week for this one.  (Might need only 4 days, but that extra day can go towards the Water Closet.)

Project 3: paint out the kitchen cabinets.  After we got wood floors put in and carried them through the house, the kitchen is a monotone of wood.  Lots and lots of wood.  The cabinets are oak with very dated hardware.  Some months back I took a class on chalk paint, and since it doesn't require sanding, I'm thinking it will be perfect for the cabinets.  Plus I think it gives a nice distressed look that breaks up the concept of just solid shiny white that white cabinets can become.  So that is project 3: paint and new hardware.  I'm guesstimating a week on this one too.

Those are the 3 major, and I will not commit to any more.  But there are a number of minor projects, some which I've already started or completed, which I'd like to mention.

First was hanging my work quilts in the guest bedroom.  They look lovely!  I need to post a picture.

Second is getting the fish tank set up.  We carried it outside the other weekend and got it all cleaned up.  I removed all the rocks and gave them a nice rinsing and got them back in the tank.  We've bought a new filter, and we are almost ready for water, except we need one little part to come in first.  The plastic hinges for the lid had cracked so we need new ones, but the fish store had the wrong size.  I won't fill the tank until I'm sure we can close it because I'd be too worried about the cats.  I am so excited to have a fish tank again!  I can hardly wait!!

Third is getting everything off the floor in the office.  I'm not sure if I'll do that or if I'll stand over P with a whip, but it is a goal.

Fourth is distributing the contents of ALL remaining boxes that are IN the house and not in a storage-type position (i.e. in a closet or in the attic).  I feel that if I can get this done while I'm on break, then I could slowly start working through the garage, one box at a time, without cluttering up the house again.

Fifth is a general clean and de-clutter.  ESPECIALLY the kitchen, where the bar seems to be a magnet for all the things that don't have homes.

Oh and one more!  Sixth would be to build a little box stand for the Aunt Dollie light that I'd like to put in the guest room.  It is a tension lamp and our ceilings are too high to install it, but I think that is an easy fix.

This is a lot, I know that.  I've had several people tell me they were surprised at how much I've accomplished so far.  I think for me right now it is important to keep busy, but it is also important to know that I'm not just working straight through every day.  I'm kind of moseying through the mornings, being relaxed about getting Z to school and eating, then working a bit, then taking a nice long break for lunch, then working til P gets home.  Then sometimes I stop, sometimes I make him help me.  But either way, there is a good amount of downtime, but at the end of the day I still feel like I got something done, so it works!

No comments: