Saturday, January 17, 2015

My first MS150 prep ride!

And my first ever group ride.

I was nervous.  Super nervous.  3 trips to the bathroom nervous.  But I went.

I went and I met a nice man and his wife who chatted with me at the beginning.  They really made the waiting easier.

I went and bought 2 jerseys and a saddlebag for cheap at the "garage sale".

I went and no one teased me about my lack of clips.

I went and I rode with the last pace group because I don't really know how fast I am any more, and I just wanted to focus on finishing.  Speed isn't important.  And I finished.  And it wasn't.

I went and just focused on riding straight and true while 80 million people passed me and I passed only a few.  But like I said, I rode with the last group, so I think they seeded themselves badly, not the other way around.

I went and ate Oreos at the halfway point.  Yum!

I went and FOUGHT my way into a killer headwind on the way back.  It was rough.  But that is good practice.  Good practice.

I went and didn't fall.

I went wearing my favorite long sleeved undershirt, a bike jersey, and 2 running jackets.  I wore my bike gloves and running gloves over the top.  I wore my skull cap under my helmet.  I wore long pants.  It was probably 40 and sunny at the start.  It was maybe 50 at the turnaround and I removed my running gloves and considered taking off a jacket, but I didn't and I was SO grateful because that headwind made it colder on the way back, even though it was warmer.

I went and had one creepy moment where my left thumb got numb.  Need to find a way to relieve the pressure on my hands more.

But I went!  And I did it!  And I am so proud of myself!

No comments: