Sunday, February 8, 2015

Ride Report: Pedaling the Prairie

I've been off the grid for the past week (pictures to follow), and actually didn't originally intend to be back in time for my Saturday ride.  But we were on the kiddo's first camping trip, and we wanted it to be a flexible, fluid thing, and when Thursday rolled around she looked like she was getting sick and started asking to see the kitties, and that was good enough for us!

I was glad because I really did want to go on Saturday's ride, so that immediately went back into the plans.  This was my first official "Ride".  It wasn't a race.  It is hard for me as a runner to differentiate, but there were no timers, and there is no winner, so not a race.  But they had packets and a start line and a finish line, and food/beer at the end, etc.  So the feel of the thing was exactly like a running race.

Clothing was a major stressor for me again for this one.  It was 45 and foggy at the start, slated to warm up to a sunny 60, so I didn't know WHAT to do.  I ended up in...wow, 4 layers.  Short sleeves with my running sleeves, 2 running jackets, and my windbreaker on top.  Long pants on bottom, and skullcap under helmet.  Only the fingerless gloves this time (and that was the right choice).  At the very beginning, I was happy with all of that.  But at the first rest stop I was flaming hot, so maybe I could have started with one less layer?  I ended up taking off the skullcap and one running jacket and the sleeves at the rest stop, and again was comfortable.  By the second rest stop I was ready to remove another layer, but didn't have anywhere to store it, so suffered through.  Also by the second rest stop I think I'd have preferred shorts on the bottom.  Hopefully all of this experience will help me begin to figure out these things better.  For sure the fingerless gloves were the right option.  For sure the sleeves were very smart because they could just be pulled down and didn't need to be stored.  I definitely like the windbreaker for the bike.  When I finished and removed it I could feel a whole ton of heat come out of there, so perhaps it would have been a better layer to remove.  I'll keep learning!

So for the ride itself: I don't have anything to compare it to since it was my first, but I was impressed!  They had breakfast before AND lunch/beer after!  Very nice.  There were real bathrooms in addition to the port-a-cans at the start.  There were 4 route options: 24, 45, 55, and 70.  I chose 24 (of course!).  There were 2 rest stops on the route: at 8 miles and again at 13 miles.  They were both well run and well stocked.  The 8 mile one was super crowded because it served all the routes and the riders weren't well spread yet.  The 13 one also served all the routes but everyone was spread out by then so it was far less hectic.  There were hills at the beginning and end, but not bad ones.  There was a hardcore headwind on the first half of the route.  I was beginning to think 10mph was just how fast I was.  Then somewhere around... 11? miles in, suddenly pedaling became easier.  I looked down and I was going 14mph and more easily.  I was confused.  I puzzled over it and eventually realized it was the lack of wind, ha!  I'm not quite as slow as I was beginning to think!!

For me personally on the ride: ate half a bagel and my coffee beforehand.  Just wasn't super hungry. Was hungry by the first rest stop but didn't want what they were serving - need to get a bento box for crackers and oreos.  Second rest stop I actually considered skipping because it was only 5 miles farther but I was glad I didn't, because I was really hungry by then and they had crackers.  Also, I didn't realize it would be the last stop and I would have really regretted it if I hadn't stopped because around 18 miles in my legs were totally in WTF land.  I was having some numbness, but then mentally began questioning if it was actual numbness or if it was the warm pants compressing me.  It was weird.

Oh, also, I still suck at starting.  I need to start off at the back of my wave.  But I also need to not panic.  All my starts yesterday were rough, and I was panicking, but I always found my balance and I never fell and that IS something.  I can do this and I WILL get better at it.

Despite my spazziness, it was a lovely day for a ride, and overall it was a great ride!  I finished and I keep improving, and that is all I could ask for!

Final stats: 23.8 miles in 1:59:30.

My splits were: 8.9 miles at 48 minutes (11mph), then 13.4 miles at 1:11 (11.75mph), then 23.8 in 1:59:30 (12.75mph).  Ha, well the headwind isn't quite as obvious as it felt, but wow, I sure felt it!

Ah, one more thing: an ibuprofen right after really helps!

No comments: