Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Schedule Strategy

My goal for the year is 12 races.  It is late August and I have 2.  (And 3, THREE, DNSs, ugh!)  But I think this is still do-able, I really do.

My strategy is two-fold.  I'm looking for races that help me build up to my target distance of 13.1 miles by mid December.  And I'm looking for races on Sundays that I can run the day after a long run to get my legs used to running tired since I'm targeting 13.1 miles the day after my first 13.1 miles.

Races meeting qualification A include:
*Toughest 10K Kemah
Toughest 10K Galveston
*Houston Half Relay  (Also meets qualification B)
Rocky Raccoon 10K Trail
*10 for Texas
Dallas Turkey Trot 8 miler

Races meeting qualification B include:
Tunnel to Towers 5K
Running of the Bulls 5K
Mistletoe Fun Run 5K

I've even added in one more than I need to meet my 12 goal, just in case I have to DNS another time.  * indicates the ones I've already signed up for, so obviously this isn't written in stone - I'm open to other options as long as they make scheduling sense.  The two longer ones that I'm most uncertain about are Toughest 10K Galveston and Rocky Raccoon 10K, because if I did both I'd be racing 3 weekends in a row (along with the Houston Half Relay).  The shorter one that I'm not as sure of is Tunnel to Towers, but honestly I'm not married to any of the 5Ks.  They'll be plentiful enough as the weather cools down to take my pick, although Sunday ones are a little more rare. 

But just as it is I think this is a good, do-able schedule that meets all of my goals.

(Now if I can just stay HEALTHY!)


No comments: