Thursday, August 2, 2012

July Book Recap

Triggers by Robert Sawyer: fast-paced near-future fiction with a tiny sci-fi twist, but it reads more like a thriller.  Something has happened to a small group of people, each is reading someone else's thoughts.  One of the group happens to be the President of the United States.  Fun read.  Perhaps a little preachy at the end and light of the explanation of the "science", but a nice message all the same.

Trapeze by Simon Mawer: I just started/finished this book in Paris, and honestly, with each passing day I get more pissed about it.  I was appropriately absorbed in it, occasionally annoyed with the internal dialogue of the main character, annoyed with the sex scene which was so OBVIOUSLY written by a man, and SUPER PISSED about the ending.

The Rook by Stephen James: Full confession: I was supposed to read The Rook by Daniel O'Malley.  Still don't know what circuit didn't connect in my brain.  This is the book I read while I waited for the Tour to come by.  I actually started and finished the thing in 1 day, and really enjoyed it!  Enough to go get the other books in the series once I'm done with all this required reading.

Hide Me Among the Graves by Tim Powers: A vampire book.  But not your typical vampires.  What bugged me was that I felt like everyone in the book knew something I should know, but never did find out.  I was interested, it was a good read, but it was a slow start for me before I actually cared.  Reallllllly slow.  Meh.

The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani: Loved this book.  Right up until the end of part 4, when I sat it down and didn't open it for 2 weeks because I would have been so happy if the book had just ended there, and the fact that it didn't meant that something bad was going to have to happen to keep it going.  Indeed it did, and I resented the author for making me cry in the breakroom at work.  But really, it was a good book.  Definitely would recommend it.

No comments: