Wednesday, August 8, 2012

22 Month Update

Dear Z,

This is 2 days late, but you gave me another lovely bug, so forgive me. :-)

I don't actually have a ton to say (watch me write a novel now), but I just wanted to get a few things down.

We went up to Fredericksburg and then Austin for a conference for me.  You got to see Mawmaw and Papa again.  You really like you some Mawmaw.  You aren't quite as sure about Papa, probably because he's a big man with a big deep voice.  You'll flirt from afar, but won't let us put you in his lap for pictures. We were only in Austin for 24 hours, but you had fun at the hotel, especially with the escalators, which must have been put there just for you.  By the end of our million trips up and down, you were even able to step on and ride and then step off again, big girl!

First trip to Thunderclouds!
Austin hotel escalators.
Looking out at Austin.
So this month was your first throw-up bug.  It was terrible.  I never had any idea that that much food could possibly be in such a tiny person.  I felt so bad for you - you just cried and cried and then you'd turn it up to a wail and finally let it go.  10 times over about a 12 hour period, all night long.  And all over me, almost every time (effective transmission method, as it turns out).  And then the next day you slept, on me, almost all day long.  It almost took me back to the old, squishy, days when you used to nap on me, except that I was so worried about you and you were so hot (running a low fever) and of course you are giant now.  You are still not back up to your champion-eating potential, but you are perky again, so I think we're in the clear.  Please just remember some day when your kid is hurling all over you that it is apparently a rite of passage for moms, and whatever I've done to make you want to pinch my little head off between now and then, please remember that you puked on me and I love you anyways.  And that is saying something.  I didn't even think about the puke.  All I could think about was trying to comfort you.
Sleeping on Mommy.
Feeling a bit better post puke.

Another thing I want for posterity is this: you love raisins.  Definitely your favorite food.  Even when you were puking everything you ate, when you were refusing water, food, and everything life-sustaining and BRAT diet appropriate, you were still asking for raisins.  Emphatically.

Eating RAISINS in the hotel in Austin.
You also spent 10 days with Gaga while your Dad and I were on vacation.  You got sick the morning we were leaving, but we knew Gaga would take good care of you.  And she did.  You learned to say vacation.  And you learned that people fly on airplanes to vacation.  And when I came back you were SO. MUCH. SMARTER.  I cannot even begin to tell you how totally floored I was: I walked into daycare and you yelled out, "My Mommy is here!"  Just like that, clear, understandable, complete.

Sick the morning we left for Paris.
You also turned into a little repeater while we were gone, repeating the last word of everything we say to you.  Pretty cute, so far.

Oh, the other totally whack thing that you started while we were away is turning -er into -ay.  So now you want some watAY, you make your sandwich crust into an alligatAY, even ask for mor-AY (more), etc.  It is actually hilarious, but weird because we know you know how to properly pronounce these words.

You've developed a new bedtime routine.  We read you 3 books, then each hug and kiss you.  We put you in your crib, then we have to swaddle the dolly, kiss and hug her, then kiss and hug the bunny, then lay them both down next you you and cover all 3 of you with your blanket.  After that you never say anything to us, which is kinda creepy since we're all "night night" and "love you" and "sweet dreams" at you, but I suppose silence is better than screaming!  You usually play a bit after we leave and then go to sleep on your own.  It is really very awesome of you.

One last thing, little squish: I'm thinking about not throwing a party for your 2nd birthday.  Would that be terrible of me?  It is just... you won't remember it, and it would be so much easier if I didn't have to!  I was thinking maybe we could go to the zoo or the aquarium or somewhere that you'd love instead?  You know, a special day, just not a party?  We'll see.

Love,
Mommy
You climbed up and started "writing your name" on your own!

No comments: