Friday, November 2, 2007

Rice Owls 5K Race Report

As I said yesterday, I knew I wasn't running for a PR. 30:53.3 @ 9:58 minute miles.

It is funny: I've gotten so used to each and every race being better than the last, I am actually feeling a little down about it. But I know I'm being unreasonable. I'll get it right soon - this is still my 3rd best 5K time ever!

I was right to be concerned about time. I got off of work at 5, changed clothes in the bathroom (forgot to bring a plastic bag for jewelry, so raced in full work jewelry!), and didn't hit the car til 5:20. I made it to the race with just 15 minutes to spare. For my hyper-early neurotic personality, this just isn't enough lee-time, and because of that, I was having a little rumbly in my tummy. Just perfect for racing. (Sarcasm.)

I had also had a long day at work. My two best friends there are both leaving for bigger and better jobs this month, and my emotional nerves are starting to get a little frazzled.

My car thermometer read 85 degrees right before the race. It might have been a little high, but there is no doubt that this was my hottest run in the past three-ish weeks.

Anyways, with all of that in mind, I found it un-fun that once I hit the event and got my chip (very cool chip-holder, btw, a velcro strap for around the ankle) I actually had a lot of standing around by myself time, not knowing anyone there.

Finaly, we started. The best part of this race, for me, was the Rice U Naval ROTC unit, which ran chanting about 100 yards behind me for pretty much the whole race. Really helped to keep my mind off of things - thanks NROTC!

Ran the first mile in 9:58, what would ironically be my pace for the race. Second mile in 9:47. Third mile must have been a bit over 10. Unusual for me to slow down in the third mile. The second mile felt longest, as usual, but the third mile was unusually tough for me this time too. Don't know if it was my mind, my left shin (stoopid shin!!), or my body after the long (10 hour) day at work, but I just didn't have it. I am proud that my pacing was relatively even throughout, even though I didn't follow my normal pattern.

Only complaint: no food at the end, and only one line for water with little tiny cups that had to be filled (took forever). I'd like to see bottled water at the end.

All in all, nice training run for me. I would always prefer Preston be able to come to these things with me - might not bother in the future if he can't. Not too sore at all today, so hoping to be primed and ready to go on Sunday morning (assuming I haven't overdone it the night before in one of said work friends' going away party)!

No comments: