Monday, November 5, 2007

4 Mile Fun Run - Opted Out

The Optimists' Club 4 Mile Fun Run down in Sugarland was on my schedule for Sunday, but I opted out after a going away party for a work friend went to almost midnight. Preston justified it for me. There'll be lots of runs, but this particular friend will only leave work once. Good call.

I have a little guilt about it, though. I really wanted a longer-than-5K-but-shorter-than-5miles under my belt before Thanksgiving. I'll check out the local schedules, but don't hold too much hope for it.

So, ran 40 minutes this morning for 3.6 miles. Shins are still pissy. I stopped twice to stretch them and my calves, which seemed to help a lot, but I'm getting pretty frustrated with it. Thanksgiving 5 miles is my freaking A race for the whole damn year, and I'm not happy with feeling like it is being threatened by my stupid shins. I'm in practically new shoes (less than 50 miles on them, I think), I am not adding tons of new mileage, and I've noticed some new definition in my calves, so I suspect that it is just a case of my calves being too strong for my shins. I'm trying to add some shin-strengthening exercises each evening when I'm watching tv, and at this point can only hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does that make me an enabler?

Amber said...

Yes. I fully blame you and your stupid leaving work. Now you owe me a run (or 8 - how many calories do you reckon a party counts as??). :-Þ