Thursday, November 15, 2007

Bat Run!

Went for another run with my ex-work buddy, hereafter known in this blog as BB down at AP. He still kicked my ass, but I held up a little better this time! I didn't walk until 25 minutes into the thing. Then it went like this:

Me: Screw it, let's walk.
Walking.
BB: Isn't that the parking lot just up there?
Me: Shit. Let's run it out then.

I need to work on my mental game! Obviously I had the ability to run it out, since I did. So it seems that it was just that I couldn't see the finish line that killed me. I know that that is a problem I've dealt with in my 5Ks, but not in my neighborhood runs since I'm so familiar with my running grounds now. It definitely illuminates a need for me to get out into unfamiliar territory and slog it out, whether I can see the finish line or not.

The most badass part of this run, though, was that we were approaching the Bat Bridge right at sunset. We could see the bats swirling around under the thing, so we decided to run up on top of it. As we were passing over, they started flying out en masse, dipping and diving and stretching into a long twisting ribbon in the sky. Beautiful.

No comments: