Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Glucose Tolerance Test Results

The long back story: I took the 1 hour glucose test a few weeks ago. The following week, I get a call at work, while I'm on my lunch break, asking me to call Dr. S's office. So I do, and the nurse tells me I failed my glucose test. I needed less than a 140, and I scored a 160. Awesome. I need to schedule the 3 hour test within the next week. I promptly freak out, google gestational diabetes, get myself all worked up, pissed off that I have no risk factors, that I already follow a reasonable diet (except for the ice cream), worry that if I have to really strictly follow a diet I'll go all anorexic like I did in college when I found out I had high cholesterol (which I still do, btw, clearly hereditary - after eating practically no dietary cholesterol for over a year, the score had only gone down 10 points!! 10 points!!), and finally realizing a semi-level of acceptance: if I have gestational diabetes, it doesn't mean I've been eating badly, it doesn't mean I'm a fat ass, it just means my placenta is producing hormones out the wazoo-ee, and as a result my body is insulin resistant. Fine. (But I'm still not happy about it.)

So last Friday I went to take the test, which you can read about in my Week 28 post.

Monday I got a call at work on my cell phone (NOT my primary contact number because I don't answer it during business hours!!!), which I missed. Got the message after work that I was supposed to call Dr. S's office. Ate a shitload of ice cream that night, in case it was my last hurrah. Went into work on Tuesday morning and looked up what time the clinic opens. 7:30. Called at 7:45. My doc doesn't start til 8. Called back at 8:15. Neither my doc nor my nurse are there yet (after being transferred to NO LESS THAN 5 people). How do you spell your name? How do you spell your name? How do you spell your name? (AM I NOT SPEAKING CLEARLY?? IT IS 5 LETTERS. NOT THAT HARD!!!) Ok, they'll call you back when they get in (yeah right).

Finally got a call back at 10:30 - my test results were normal.

Normal.

Holy shit, I'm not a gestational diabetic.

I know I have a tendency to expect the worst. I like that about me: it means I am always prepared, and I have lots of joy when things go well. But, damn, I waste a lot of energy worrying about things sometimes. I wasted a *lot* of energy freaking out about this.

Bring on the ice cream!!!

No comments: