Friday, July 30, 2010

A Funny Thing

I had an old co-worker, who is just barely younger than me, stop by the other day. I know that she and her husband want kids some day, but of course it isn't any of my business when...

Anyways, we were catching up and she was asking me questions, and occasionally she'd take a really obvious gander at the belly, but more often I'd catch her taking little sidelong glances.

It was so cute!!

A little weird for me, but I'm pretty sure that's how I'd have been acting if our roles were reversed.

It made me feel.... like.... I'm experiencing some great mystery. And it does seem mysterious, strange, intoxicating to women who've never experienced it. But I've said it before and I'll say it again: almost everything happens so gradually that your perception of yourself, your body, and what is happening alters so slowly that it is almost imperceptible. One day you are you: single, not pregnant, you know, normal. And the next you are pregnant even in your dreams and someone in your belly spends a lot of time kicking you. And somehow that is more than ok: it is welcome.

No comments: