Sunday, September 2, 2007

What Makes a Runner?

On Friday I went into Luke's Locker to get a new pair of Brooks Glycerin 5s. I've got a little over 200 miles on my old pair, and last Wednesday morning I really started hearing from my shins, and absent any other real changes in my normal running routine, I figured I needed some new shoes.

I was really excited to go over to Luke's not only for the shoes, but also to look around at the gear and maybe pick a few things up. The thing is... well, I felt really uncomfortable there. First, when I told the shoe lady that my left shin had just started acting up, she asked me if I was increasing my mileage. Well, the answer is yes. Then she started telling me that that was the cause. Well, respectfully, I disagree, since I'm increasing by less than 10% total mileage per week on a training plan that tons of people have followed successfully. I told her that, but it bothered me that she automatically assumed that I had just gone out and doubled my mileage or something. Then she didn't offer any other ideas for what could be causing the shin splints. Here's to hoping that I am right and it is the shoes, because if it isn't, I'm not sure where to go from here.

After all that I was wandering around while Preston got analyzed and fitted. (New pair of Asics 2120's.) But I felt like a total poser - really awkward and weird and stupid and stuff. I was interested in a technical shirt, maybe a new sports bra, possibly some gear for when it gets colder, definitely a wristband for wiping sweat off my brow when I'm not in a t-shirt, more socks... tons of stuff.

What did I get? Shoes, socks, and the wristbands. I never even tried on any tops. It kinda sucked. I did go over to the Nike outlet after that to see what they had and got a nice dry-fit jacket for half price and some capri dry-fit pants for like 80% off. But I've gotta get over whatever it was that turned me off at Luke's (where incidentally, previously, I had a wonderful experience).

Then I got into this long conversation with Preston about the whole thing in which I told him that I think the problem is that I don't feel like a real runner. He responded that of course I'm a real runner: I could run 10 minute miles, I could run 50 minutes at a time, what else did I want? My response? I think that the definition of a runner is different for everyone. I consider myself a runner. I try to run regularly. I train with purpose. I continue to improve. I look forward to running. I may not enjoy running during the actual act, but I never regret it once I'm done. And I pretty much can't go much faster than I do, so it is running and not jogging for me. Jogging would be like 15 minute miles for me. 12 minute miles or less is running. Long distances are running. I'm a runner. But when I'm around an "American stick-insect" who can probably run a sub-three hour marathon and works in a running store, I feel like a total poser. I just do.

But I got the shoes, and I'm going to take them out for a race tomorrow morning. Hopefully a fast one. Fast for me. Because I'm a runner, damnit.

No comments: