Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Mentally Good Run

This morning I hit the road for what was supposed to be a 32 minute run. I tacked on a minute 15 to the end because I wanted to - sue me.

The focus this morning was on control. I wanted to control the HR, to control the breathing, to control the speed, and generally just to get in a solid run.

I did just that. My large loop, which is always the one I start with, is a 1.1 mile loop. I felt really solid and hit it in around 11:20. Then I decided to run it a second time, hitting the mark at 22:30 (negative split!). On that second loop I tried to focus on the mental aspect of the run, because mile 2 always seems the hardest in a 5K for me. Near the end of the second loop I was doing the math in my head trying to figure out if I could fit in a 3rd big loop in time. I knew that I couldn't do it in 32 minutes, but I was sure I could in under 35, and I had headed out the door early this morning so I had the time cushion, so I decided to go for it! Hit the third loop at 33:15. I negative split this entire run!! And this is really a tempo run type pace for me!

I did have a couple of quirks. My left calf feels a little tight. Stretched after the run, but still tight-feeling. The third toe on my left foot was bothering me at the beginning of the 2nd mile. Possibly causing the calf tightness?? Also, my quads have been chronically tight on running days since the last 5K race I ran. Not quite sure what is up with that.

Anyways, I stretched more thoroughly than normal after this run. Hopefully my lazy butt will get out of bed for a run on Friday, and then maybe I could do a little yoga after for a really good stretch.

I'm all excited about running again. I'm so glad to have planned out my races and to have targets and goals again. And as of Saturday, I'll be pred-no-doze free and back to just being me. And that's exciting too!

No comments: