Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Summer Run

In February.

This morning I dragged myself out of bed to go for a run.  Last night my phone said it'd probably be about 55, perfect for a run.  When I grabbed my phone before I got out of bed (my new habit lately - seems to be helping me to resist the urge to go back to sleep) and checked the weather, it said 72.  Seventy-freaking-two degrees.  In February.

When I walked outside, it was the same temperature as my house.  Only way more humid.  In February.

I ran.  I'm not gonna lie, it was rough.  My benchmark was 3 loops in 27:10.  Today it took me 27:33.  With a walk break, so help me gods.  I know this is just a preview for summer running.  And I really want to stay strong as the hot mornings start coming up, because I think that may have been what I was doing wrong in past years: I need to run through the first few weeks of discomfort due to temperature so my body will adapt.  I need to stay mentally strong.  I can do this.  Even if it is FREAKING FEBRUARY.

On the way to work this morning, the weatherman on NPR said today's low, 72, was higher than the normal high at this time of year, 69.  And it's supposed to get to 80 today.  IN FEBRUARY.

No comments: