Friday, February 3, 2012

US Olympic Marathon Trials Spectator Report

I'm sorry I'm late with this.

We got up at the crack of dawn to head down to downtown Houston, aiming at being about 30 minutes early before the Trials started.  We were even earlier than that.  Parking wasn't too difficult, yet, but expensive!

I had decided the night before that we should try to watch from near the convention center where the racers would pass us 4 times each without us having to move (which would be difficult with the baby).  We walked immediately to near the start line, but I was really wanting to be closer to the finish so that we could see how the race was shaking out.  I didn't know if we'd be able to cross the course once it started, so we took the chance and gave up a really good spot to cross Discovery Green and get on the finishing stretch.  We got lucky!  We ended up in a great spot, just after mile 26 but before they made the final left turn to the finish line, under a lovely tree, and on the side of the road where the runners would be taking the "shortest line".  We could see a side-angle of the big viewing screen that was set up for the bleachers, so we should be able to keep an idea of where the runners were and their pace so that we didn't miss a pass-by.  We were also in the park, so it was great for the baby wrangling that we knew might occur.  It was ideal! 


Fairly shortly after we arrived, we saw the men run by on their way to the starting line.  We could hear the announcer, and the gun being fired.  Then we just had to wait 10 or so minutes until they passed by us the first time, which was *so* exciting!  I could feel my heart racing immediately, and the baby was obviously in love with spectating, since she kept asking (and signing) for more!  She was in luck, because pretty shortly the women started, and then we literally had a "sighting" every 20-30 minutes after that!  My ex-work buddy J showed up and helped us wrangle, and Preston's ex-work "daddy" J showed up and kept him company for a bit, too.  "Daddy" J was running his first half the next day, which he finished in 2:08ish, way to go J!

Men, first pass.
And then it is a story of sighting.

Women, first pass.

After sighting.
Men, second pass.
After sighting.

Women, second pass.

After sighting.
"Hi running!" (Men, third pass.)
After sighting.

Women, third pass.
When it finally came down to the end, we were right where Meb ran by with the flag, just before he saluted the soldiers lining the route.  It was so cool.


This was also where Ritz put on his surge.  I don't have a photo because I was screaming my head off.  I swear, I felt him surge.  I could see it.  I could feel that he was probably a little too far out but that he had a chance.  It was incredibly exciting.  And heartbreaking.

Some of the soldiers would applaud as runners ran by... I found that... just... really powerful.

Then the women came around for the last time, Shalane leading. Then Desi. Then Kara.


I love that Kara looks like she's hurting in this photo.  You know, she had her kid just a few weeks before I did.  Somehow, I feel validated that she looked like she was struggling.  But I also feel inspired that she was able to make it to the Olympics.

The Kid was asleep before we even made it back to the car.

Good day.

No comments: